With stacks of black plastic pots stored in the garage, I was looking on Pinterest for ways of using them and came across living walls.
DIY is not my thing, or I would have made 3 or 5 shelves to go on an outside wall and arranged the pots on them, tilting them at a n angle and putting the largest ones in the middle, grading them down to the smaller ones at the ends.
But I do have some redundant fixings in a south facing wall.
I wired the pots together with plastic-coated green wire, putting a stick at the base (painted pink) of the largest pot, and threading through one of the drainage holes.
To reduce the weight in the large pot, I turned a small plastic pot upside down, before adding the compost.
then a second wire starting under the next pot and threading the 2 wires through all the pots all the way to the top.
The wires are twisted round the supports on the way up to prevent wind rock and to help spread the weight.
Ideally I’d the two rows to be hanging closer together, and have more of them, but that is where the supports are, and it does give me satisfaction to use what I’ve got and not take too long putting things together.
I couldn’t resist a bit of doodling!
And once I’d started ..
Later, after the risk of frost has gone, I’ll plant more ordinary strawberry plants in the larger, lower pots, and maybe some thyme.
This is an experiment – I don’t know if it will work but I will keep you posted.